Leading at Every Level: Faculty Member
Faculty members often have a wide range of position responsibilities and involvement with programs, curricula, research projects, service, and collaborations with other colleagues. Whether focused mainly as an "individual contributor" or beginning supervision through research, teaching, and collaboration, there are a number of responsibilities and competencies related to managing and leading in the faculty role.
Main areas of management responsibilities and leadership competencies at this level are provided below, along with available university resources for learning and development.
Management Responsibilities within the Role
Leading At Every Level: Faculty Member, Managing-Own-Responsibilites
A number of resources are available to faculty to aid in the grant and budget management processes through the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation (OVPRI).
- View current program offerings, which include research administration training and self-study program for certified research administrators.
- OVPRI also offers a variety of professional development workshops focused on research administration and management. A selection of workshops include:
- Accessing Banner Data in Research Administration
- Finding Funding
- Strengthening your Grant Proposal
- Virginia Tech Research Policies
- View full selection of workshops
The Office of Sponsored Programs also offers resources and guidance on budget development and management for sponsored research projects.
Learn more about accessing and using HokieMart for purchasing.
The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) offers a number of workshops, professional development and certificate programs related to pedagogy, teaching and learning, and student engagement.
The Office of Institutional Effectiveness offers resources, support, and workshops related to writing effective goals and outcomes, and assessing results.
View resources and information related to the Student Perceptions of Teaching (SPOT) evaluations.
TLOS also provides several courses on Assessment and Evaluation, Inclusive Practices and Teaching and Learning.
There are several groups on campus that provide training and support for technology tools and programs.
- HR office sotware courses
- Working online
- Resources include information on learning and working remotely available on the Division of HR’s Talent Development website
- Formerly known as Networked Learning Initatives (NLI), TLOS: Professional Development Network (PDN) provides a variety of learning opportunities and courses
- LinkedIn Learning - online learning library for faculty and staff, hosting hundreds of online tutorials and self-paced learning modules (formerly Lynda.com).
- Courses offered every semester through Talent Development
- Virtual Learning Center
- Talent Development from HR have compiled a list of resources on working, leading, and learning remotely or in any environment that can on their Virtual Learning Center
Resources for Managing Others
Leading At Every Level: Faculty Member, Managing Others
Leadership Competencies within the Role
Leading At Every Level: Faculty Member, Leading Self
Resources for Leading Others
Leading At Every Level: Faculty Member, Leading Others
To submit additional resources for inclusion here, email Amy Hogan.