Faculty Writing Group Grant Program
The Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost is pleased to provide this grant program to support tenured or continued appointment faculty in their career development. The primary goal of this grant program is to encourage faculty to form collaborative support networks outside of their home departments and colleges, and to encourage faculty engagement with their research and writing in support of career advancement at Virginia Tech beyond tenure or continued appointment.
Groups will receive a $2,000 grant toward their proposed goals. Approximately 5 grants will be funded each year.
Proposals for this grant program should be submitted electronically to Rachel Gabriele on or before May 1, 2021 for consideration.
Funds for accepted proposals will be transferred in July or August of 2021.
Further details on this grant program, and the application process, are below.
Proposal Assessment Guidelines
Proposals will be assessed based on the following criteria:
- clearly articulated goals;
- engages a number of group members who are post-tenure;
- creates a collaborative support network of faculty from multiple departments and/or colleges;
- encourages advancement of faculty research and writing goals;
- supports faculty career development needs;
- potential positive impact to the individuals, group and broader university community.
Writing Group Grant Information Session
During this information session, participants will receive a brief overview of the program, can discuss projects with grant administrators and past grant recipients, and have an opportunity to ask questions about the program and proposal process.
- The Information Session will be held on Thursday, April 15, 2021 at 10:00 AM
All sessions will be held virtually via Zoom for faculty at any campus. Please register in advance to receive the Zoom link for your session.
Examples of Potential Proposals and Projects
Example: Group A
Goal: Individual Productivity
Each faculty member indicated a production goal:
- Dr. A: submit two articles for publication
- Dr. B: prepare proposal for and subsequent presentation(s) for two conferences
- Dr. C: complete two book chapters
- Dr. D: submit two articles for publication
- Dr. E: prepare and submit three grant proposals
The group will meet three times in the fall semester and three times in the spring semester. At each meeting, faculty will check in on each others progress, offer feedback on obstacles or challenges, and share successes.
- Dr. A: Department of Population Health Sciences (CVM)
- Dr. B: Department of Chemistry (COS)
- Dr. C: Department of History (CLAHS)
- Dr. D: Department of Management (PCOB)
- Dr. E: Department of Computer Science (COE)
Conference registration for Dr. B*: $500
Travel for Dr. E to granting agencies*: $500
External editing and indexing services*: $500
Foor for six meetings*: $500
*All expenditures must be in accordance with Virginia Tech policies and procedures.
Example: Group B
Goal: Collaborative Research on Artificial Intelligence
Faculty will meet regularly to discuss their disciplinary interests related to a common research area, with one, or several of the following goals as a group:
- submitting grant proposals
- planning a speaker series or symposium
- convening a panel for a conference
The group will meet four times in the fall semester and three times in the spring semester. In the early meetings we will discuss our disciplinary interests and finalize our goal for the year. Subsequent meetings will involve work towards the designated goal.
- Dr. A: Department of Philosophy (CLAHS)
- Dr. B: Department of Computer Science (COE)
- Dr. C: School of Neuroscience (COS)
- Dr. D: Industrial Design (CAUS)
- Dr. E: Department of Mechanical Engineering (COE)
Symposium costs*: $2,000
*Symposium will likely coast more than this. Additional funding will be requested from individual departments and other campus sources.
- I Got Tenure: Now What? (August 2017)
- What Do You Love? (September 2017)
- Mapping Your Posttenure Possibilities (September 2017)
- Interview Your Role Models (October 2017)
- Time to Chose Your Posttenture Pathway (October 2017)
- Mind-Set Shifts for Posttenure Success (October 2017)
- Post-Tenure Mentoring Networks (October 2017)
- Post-Tenure Planning (November 2017)
Email Rachel Gabriele, Assistant Provost for Faculty Initiatives and Policies