Virginia Tech®home

Research Leave Requests Update

If you plan to make any changes to your approved research leave, please contact your department head/chair as soon as possible to help them ensure that departmental teaching needs are appropriately covered. With your department’s support, you can initiate the change request process.

Changes to research leaves (for COVID-19 related or other reasons) that can be approved without additional BOV approval include:

  • a postponement of leave for up to 1 year
  • a change from a full year leave to a half-year leave (or vice versa)
  • a change in the location of your research leave
  • a cancellation of leave

Changes to the scope of your research leave will be considered on a case-by-case basis. To request a change to an approved research leave, please complete and submit the Change to Approved Research Leave or Special Leave with Pay to your department for department head/chair approval. The department will then route the request to your college’s dean for review and approval, and then to the Provost’s office for approval. You will receive a letter notifying you of the approved change.

Please email Rachel Gabriele with any questions related to changes to your research leave.