Department Heads Council
In fall semester 2006, a group of department heads met to discuss their desires and goals for a better collective future at Virginia Tech. As a result of their discussions—and with the enthusiastic support of the provost—the Department Heads Council and its Executive Committee were formed.
- To focus on developing a better collective future for Virginia Tech's academic departments and their leaders,
- To operate as an advisory and support group to enhance existing administrative and faculty governance structures, and
- To participate in the design and delivery of training programs that would support the development of existing and future department heads/chairs at Virginia Tech.
Department Heads Council
- The Department Heads Council membership includes the heads and chairs of all academic units (e.g., departments and schools).
- The Department Heads Council meets collectively at least once each semester with the provost and president (and other senior administrators as appropriate).
- The Council hosts monthly forums on topics of interest to their members.
- A Department Heads Council listserv exists for the use of Virginia Tech department heads/chairs and school directors. Listserv membership is limited to that group.
- Any member of the Department Heads Council listserv may post a message to the group at email@example.com. Posts from any non-member will be rejected.
- The listserv provides an opportunity for dialogue among the heads/chairs on emerging issues of interest to the collective group.
Department Heads Executive Committee
- The Department Heads Council's Executive Committee includes two elected heads or chairs from each college, each serving two-year terms.
- Terms are staggered to provide continuity in college representation within the Executive Committee.
- The Executive Committee has a chair and vice-chair.
- The Executive Committee meets with the provost (and other senior administrators as appropriate) on a monthly basis to maintain a two-way dialogue on key issues as they arise and provide a timely means of advisory input.
- The Department Heads Council and its Executive Committee have the authority to establish standing committees and task-oriented study groups that focus on specific issues of importance to department heads/chairs and school directors.
- The outcomes of these subcommittees and study groups are advisory to the collective group and to the members of the senior administration. They do not constitute any formal aspect of the university governance system.
Department Heads Council Forums 2022-23
September 12, 2022, 3:00-5:00 p.m.
October 11, 2022, 3:00-5:00 p.m.
November 16, 2022, 3:00-5:00 p.m.
December 12, 2022, 3:00-5:00 p.m.
January 10, 2023, 3:00-5:00 p.m.
February 15, 2023, 3:00-5:00 p.m.
March 21, 2023, 3:00-5:00 p.m.
April 12, 2023, 3:00-5:00 p.m.
May 2, 2023, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
Department Heads Executive Committee Meetings 2022-23
August 24, 2022, 9:00-10:30 a.m.
September 6, 2022, 8:00-9:30 a.m
October 4, 2022, 8:00-9:30 a.m
November 1, 2022, 8:00-9:30 a.m
December 6, 2022, 8:00-9:30 a.m
January 3, 2023, 8:00-9:30 a.m
February 7, 2023, 8:00-9:30 a.m
March 7, 2023, 8:00-9:30 a.m
April 4, 2023, 8:00-9:30 a.m
May 2, 2023, 8:00-9:30 a.m
May 9, 2023, 8:00-9:30 a.m