Leading at Every Level: Faculty Member
Faculty members often have a wide range of position responsibilities and involvement with programs, curricula, research projects, service, and collaborations with other colleagues. Whether focused mainly as an "individual contributor" or beginning supervision through research, teaching, and collaboration, there are a number of responsibilities and competencies related to managing and leading in the faculty role.
Main areas of management responsibilities and leadership competencies at this level are provided below, along with available university resources for learning and development.
Management Responsibilities within the Role
Leading At Every Level: Faculty Member, Managing-Own-Responsibilites
A number of resources are available to faculty to aid in the grant and budget management processes through the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation (OVPRI).
- View current program offerings, which include research administration training and self-study program for certified research administrators.
- OVPRI also offers a variety of professional development workshops focused on research administration and management. A selection of workshops include:
- Accessing Banner Data in Research Administration
- Finding Funding
- Strengthening your Grant Proposal
- Virginia Tech Research Policies
- View full selection of workshops
The Office of Sponsored Programs also offers resources and guidance on budget development and management for sponsored research projects.
Learn more about accessing and using HokieMart for purchasing.
The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) offers a number of workshops, professional development and certificate programs related to pedagogy, teaching and learning, and student engagement.
The Office of Institutional Effectiveness offers resources, support, and workshops related to writing effective goals and outcomes, and assessing results.
View resources and information related to the Student Perceptions of Teaching (SPOT) evaluations.
TLOS also provides several courses on Assessment and Evaluation, Inclusive Practices and Teaching and Learning.
The OVPRI Professional Development group also has offerings in grant management and administration that may be helpful to managing funded projects.
More courses on project management can be found through LinkedIn Learning.
There are several groups on campus that provide training and support for technology tools and programs.
- HR office sotware courses
- Working online
- Resources include information on learning and working remotely available on the Division of HR’s Talent Development website
- Formerly known as Networked Learning Initatives (NLI), TLOS: Professional Development Network (PDN) provides a variety of learning opportunities and courses
- LinkedIn Learning - online learning library for faculty and staff, hosting hundreds of online tutorials and self-paced learning modules (formerly Lynda.com).
- Courses offered every semester through Talent Development
- Virtual Learning Center
- Talent Development from HR have compiled a list of resources on working, leading, and learning remotely or in any environment that can on their Virtual Learning Center
Resources for Managing Others
Leading At Every Level: Faculty Member, Managing Others
A number of resources are available from Human Resources: Hiring, Onboarding, and Employee Transactions to support recruitment and hiring.
- Resources available include information on application support, employee transactions, a searchable Forms library, and hiring guidelines
- See more recruitment information
A few groups on campus offer training, resources, and information on diversity and inclusion.
InclusiveVT: Inclusive VT covers all diversity and inclusion related efforts carried out at the university
Programs available under InclusiveVT
Caucus and special interest groups
- American Indian and Indigenous People’s Alliance
- Appalachian Caucus
- Asian/Asian American
- Black Caucus
- Disability Alliance and Caucus
- Hispanic and Latinx
- International Caucus
- LGBTQ Caucus
- Veteran’s Caucus
- Women’s Center
- Office of Inclusion and Diversity
In addition, many colleges and senior management areas have a diversity committee that undertakes a variety of intiatives and provides additional training opportunities within their area.
Human Resources offers training and resources to support performance management.
The Talent Development team of HR provides a Fast Track for New Supervisors workshop for new supervisors who have been in their role for less than a year
Human Resources provides detailed information about leave policies, practices, and systems for all employee types.
Leadership Competencies within the Role
Leading At Every Level: Faculty Member, Leading Self
The Talent Development team from HR provides different courses on building communication and presentation skills on their Virtual Learning Center. Some courses include:
- Communicating with Transparency
- Leading Virtual Meetings
Talent Development team provides resources on teaming remotely
The Office for Equity and Accessibility offers a workshop on managing conflict
Resources for Leading Others
Leading At Every Level: Faculty Member, Leading Others
Workshops that support leader development related to managing performance and leading can be found on the HR Talent Development website
LinkedIn Learning courses regarding communication and communicating across cultures along with other selection
The Office for Equity and Accessibility offers information on conflict resolution
To submit additional resources for inclusion here, email Amy Hogan.