The Faculty Affairs team in the Office of the Provost invites faculty to apply to serve as Faculty Fellows. In this part-time role, Faculty Fellows will work directly with the Faculty Affairs team and other senior leaders in developing and implementing programs and developing resources and policies to support faculty success and empower faculty excellence.
The Faculty Fellows Program will provide selected faculty with opportunities to:
- Engage and work with faculty in different departments and colleges across all Virginia Tech campuses;
- Gain valuable knowledge and experience in higher education administration;
- Expand administrative skills in developing and implementing programs and policies in a decentralized university environment;
- Develop expertise in a content area(s) of faculty affairs;
- Contribute to decision-making in support of faculty program offerings and initiatives.
Faculty Affairs has particular interest in advancing programs and policies related to:
- Faculty evaluation
- Collegiate faculty support
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
- Navigating the university (for new faculty members)
- Academic leadership development
However, we also welcome proposals by faculty applicants to propose areas of focus or programs and policies that are not on this list.
Selected faculty will be expected to serve for a one-year period, as applicable to the assignment(s), with the possibility of renewal. Though the expected time-period for the Fellowship is the academic year, the start date may be negotiated to accommodate the faculty member’s other responsibilities.
Fellowship Time Commitment and Compensation
The time commitment and compensation for the Fellowship will be arranged based on the nature of the project and the needs of the faculty member and their home department or school. In addition to any individual arrangement, Fellows will also be expected to participate in regular meetings with the Faculty Affairs team to share progress and identify potential collaborations with other Fellows. Compensation may take the form of course buy-outs, summer supplemental salary, professional developments, etc.
Faculty interested in Faculty Fellow roles should email Faculty Affairs to set up a meeting to discuss your interests before applying.
Current Faculty Fellows
General ItemPatricia Dove
University Distinguished Professor, Geosciences
General ItemMonique Dufour
Collegiate Associate Professor, History
General ItemAki Ishida
Associate Professor, School of Architecture
General ItemTracy Rutherford
Professor and Department Head, Agricultural Leadership and Community Education
General ItemMaddy Schreiber
Email Rachel Gabriele, Associate Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs