Virginia Tech™home

Research Leaves

Research Leave Requests Update

Changes to research leave approval timeline by the Board of Visitors related to COVID-19.

In addition to the types of leave available to all faculty employees, tenured faculty members may be eligible to request Study-Research Leave or Research Assignment.

  • Study-Research Leave: one year, partial salary (not to exceed one-half salary), full employee benefits
  • Research Assignment: one semester, full salary, full employee benefits

Please consult the Faculty Handbook Chapter 3, Sections 3.8 and 3.9 for detailed descriptions of these types of leave.


Email the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost: