Virginia Tech®home

Faculty Personnel Actions

Our office oversees changes to faculty appointments, faculty recognition programs, and research leaves, and assists in the resolution of faculty grievances.

Conflict of Interest Reporting

The revision to Policy 13010 (PDF), now titled “Individual Conflicts of Interest and Commitment” was approved by the Board of Visitors on June 4, 2012 with an effective date of August 10, 2012. An important element of the policy revision is a requirement that all investigators complete Conflict of Interest policies and procedures training and disclose their external activities. For the latest information, visit Conflict of Interest or email the Office of the Vice President for Research at

Emeritus or Emerita Status

The title of emeritus or emerita is conferred on retired full professors, associate professors, administrative officers, and librarians with continued appointment who have given exemplary service to the university and who are specifically recommended to the board of visitors by the president and approved.

Faculty Reconciliation

Services of the Faculty Senate's Committee on Reconciliation are available to Teaching/Research, Administrative and Professional, and Research Faculty as described in the Faculty Handbook. Process, forms, and contact information.


Faculty members may resolve complaints about selected employment actions through the grievance process as described in the Faculty Handbook. Process, forms, and contact information.

Leave Without Pay

Faculty members wishing to take leave from their duties without salary may request such leave from the provost or vice president for administration, depending upon the reporting structure, on the recommendation of the department head or chair and the dean (or appropriate administrator), as described in Section 2.17.10 of the Faculty Handbook.

Request for Leave Without Pay (PDF)

Research Extended Appointments

Academic year faculty appointments can be extended to calendar year with the use of research funds as described in university policy 6200 (PDF). Process, forms, and contact information.

Research Leaves

Tenured faculty members are eligible for study-research leave and research assignment as described in Chapter 3 of the Faculty Handbook. Process, forms, and contact information.